Thursday, October 9, 2008

Che Day

Forty-one years ago today Ernesto "Che" Guevara was executed in the small town of La Higuera, Bolivia. I wanted to write a little piece about him, but I'm hunched over my computer keyboard today correcting English for a P.R. firm. (I don't think Che would approve!)

Anyway, here are some pictures I took on a recent trip to La Higuera and Vallegrande (where his body was interred under the airport until recently excavated). No matter if you think he was a savior, murderer, hero or scoundrel, he certainly lived up to the title Satre gave him: The most complete human being of our age. Here is some great writing on Che: Jon Lee Anderson's Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life, and an anthology of reporting, Che: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of a Revolutionary. I recommend both (especially if you are from the U.S. and naturally predisposed programmed to hate everyone involved in the Cuban revolution).









No comments: